Sonia has wide ranging experience advising on technology, cyber, telecommunication and general commercial matters.
Sonia specialises in cyber and data resilience advice with particular experience conducting privacy impact assessments and providing privacy advice on new cutting edge technologies as well as advising on complex privacy issues for ‘big data’, consents, cloud-computing, cross-border transfers and data breach laws; intellectual property, including the exploitation and distribution of content across all platforms including apps and drafting and negotiating licence agreements for collaborative research projects; technology, including acting for both suppliers and customers in respect of business process outsourcings and technology procurement; and telecommunications, including representation in regulatory inquiries and advising on strategic policy issues for the digital economy.
Publications and Editorial Contacts
- Sonia is one of the Editors of the popular Maddocks TMT Blog TechKnowChat
- Lexis Nexis - Practical Guidance Cybersecurity, Data Protection & Privacy (Australian chapters)
- 'Navigating the New Digital Landscape' published in the Australian Corporate Lawyer, March 2011 issue of the Australian Corporate Lawyer
- Convergence Review opens Pandora' s box published in the Internet Law Bulletin, April 2011.
- Various Maddocks e-Alerts to clients.
Awards & Recognition
- Communications Alliance and CommsDay Awards (ACOMM Awards) 2011 shortlised as a finalist in the Young Achiever category for her contributions to the communications industry and outstanding commitment to client service.
- Media Law International 2015 mentioned as a ''leading lawyer / one to watch' for her work in the content and media space.
- Key issues in privacy, ‘Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand Tech boot camp e-conference September 2017
- ‘Challenges for content distribution’ Co-Presented at the CommsDay Summit April 2015
- Start-Up City: Encouraging Creative Risk' Panel at the Sydney Opera House Studio as part of Creative Sydney (as part of the Vivid Festival), 30 May 2011
- 'A Brave New World: Opportunities and Challenges for creative industries in a post NBN world' Key Note Address at the Creative Industries component of the One Movement For Music Festival Perth, October 2010.
- Law Society of New South Wales
|Areas of expertise|
|Cyber and data resilience (including Australian privacy laws and the application of the GDPR to Australian organisations)|
|Technology and general procurement|
|General commercial law (including the Australian Consumer Law).|
|Law (Hons 1) and Communications (majoring in journalism), University of Technology; Grade A certificate – China and the World: Chinese Foreign Policy Since 1949, London School of Economics and Peking University Summer School|
|Law Society of New South Wales|
|Sonia Sharma, Special Counsel|
Tel: 61 2 9291 6143