Stuart is a technical consultant with over 32 years of experience in the commercial and domestic construction industry.
One of his major achievements was as the Director of Housing with the Australian Building Codes Board (ABCB), the organisation responsible for the implementation of national building code reform. During this time, Stuart was responsible for the management and development of the Building Code of Australia 1996, Volume Two Housing Provisions, which was a significant national reform for government technical standards. The Building Code of Australia 1996 forms the basis of the current Building Code of Australia, with many of the provisions remaining unchanged. Responsibilities included inception, identification of suitable community standards, drafting, national public review strategy, preparation for publication and education development and delivery.
Prior to joining the ABCB, Stuart was employed as a legislation research officer with Victoria's Division of Building Control (now the Building Commission). He was part of the development team responsible for the implementation of Building Regulations 1994 and associated technical requirements for the Victorian government.
He also served three terms (9 years) as Building Appeals Board member adjudicating on the application of the Building Act 1993 and associated statutory rules.
He has presented over 16 papers on building legislation, building codes and associated standards at international, national and state conferences. He has also developed training literature and presented training seminars on the building regulations, Building Code of Australia and related topics to building professionals throughout Australia.
Stuart has provided expert opinion for the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal, Magistrates Court, County Court and Supreme Court.
Publications and Editorial Contacts
- Australian Institute of Building Surveyors, Building Inspection, May 2012
- Department of Planning and Community Development (Victorian Government); Presentation to Planners regarding the application of the Building Code of Australia and issues for heritage buildings (June 2010)
- Building Designers Association of Victoria; Building Code of Australia Part 3.12 energy efficiency workshop in metropolitan and regional areas (May 2010)
- Building Commission; BCA 2010 Victorian Seminar series; Responsible for the presentation on BCA 2010 changes to building practitioners throughout Victoria in metropolitan and regional areas (April – May 2010)
- Housing Industry Association; Bushfire Attack Level Assessment (April 2010)
- Building Designers Association of Victoria; Bushfire Attack Level Assessment workshop in metropolitan and regional areas (March 2010)
- Building Commission; BCA Energy efficiency Victorian Seminar series; Responsible for the presentation to building practitioners throughout Victoria (April – May 2008)
- Building Commission; bushfire standard AS 3959 Victorian Seminar series; Responsible for the presentation on the bushfire construction requirements to building practitioners throughout Victoria (April – May 2009)
- Australian Institute of Building Surveyors
- Housing Industry Association
|Areas of expertise|
|The writing, development and application of building legislation which establish acceptable community and societal standards.|
|Development, interpretation and application of Performance building codes, in particular, the Building Code of Australia.|
|The development and application of Australian building standards including industry construction specifications and Australian Standards.|
|Masters of Engineering – Construction Management (Swinburne University, 2005)|
|Carpentry and Joinery - Victorian Industrial Training Commission (1981)|
|Building Inspector - Victoria Building Control Qualification Board (1989)|
|Scaffolding Inspector - Victoria Department of Labour (1989)|
|Building Surveyor - Victoria Building Control Qualification Board (1990)|
|Workplace Training – Certificate IV Trainer and Assessor (AQF 4)|
|Practitioners Certificate in Mediation and Conciliation – Institute of Arbitrators and Mediators Australia (2003)|
|Building Practitioners Board – Victoria; Registered Building Practitioner: Building Surveyor (BS – 1577) & Building Inspector Unlimited (IN-U 1601)|
|Australian Building Codes Board|