Richard is an Accredited Specialist in Wills and Estates (NSW). He is the former Chair of the Advisory Committee for Specialist Accreditation in Wills and Estates law in New South Wales.
His practice comprises equity litigation, including contested estate, will construction, family provision litigation, insolvency, partnership and shareholder disputes. Estate planning including will drafting advice is also another major practice area.
He advises on trusts and contested estates, administration and estate planning, including on the question of assets in foreign jurisdictions or applications by foreign executors in respect of assets in Australia.
Richard additionally advises in respect to mental health, financial management and guardianship issues. In his practice he acts for trustees, including trustee companies and private clients. Richard also acts as an expert witness in litigation involving difficult issues touching on estate matters and practice.
He was admitted as a solicitor to the Supreme Court of NSW in 1973.
Publications and Editorial Contacts
- Co-author, Mason and Handler's Succession Law and Practice, New South Wales (LexisNexis)
- Co-author, Hutley's Australian Wills Precedents, 9th Edition
- Adviser, Practical Guidance – Succession Law (LexisNexis)
- Seminar papers, case reviews and commentaries on wills, family provision and contested estate and trust litigation, powers of attorney and guardianship
Awards & Recognition
- Fellow of the Australian Academy of Law
- Member, STEP NSW Committee from July 2012
- STEP Australia, Education officer from September 2013
- Member, Advisory Committee of Attorney General of NSW on succession law reform
- Former chair of the Advisory Committee for Specialist Accreditation in Wills and Estates Law in NSW (formulating assessments for applicants for accreditation and assessing them) - 1999 to 2007; foundation Committee member from 1994 to 2007
Since 1986 Richard has conducted workshops and seminars in the equity and succession areas of work for solicitors’ continuing legal education.
Professional Organisations & Memberships
- Member of the International Academy of Estate and Trust Law
- Member of the Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (STEP)
- Affiliate Member of The Taxation Institute
- Member, Supreme Court of New South Wales Probate Users' Committee
- Member, Elder Law, Capacity & Succession Committee, Law Society of New South W
|Areas of expertise|
|Practice comprises equity litigation, including contested estate, will construction, family provision litigation; partnership and shareholder disputes|
|Will drafting and estate planning advice is also a major area of work|
|Advice on trusts and contested estates, administration and estate planning, including questions of assets in foreign jurisdictions or applications by foreign executors in respect of assets in Australia|
|Advice in respect of mental health, financial management, guardianship issues|
|Acts for trustees, including trustee companies and private clients|
|Also acts as an expert witness|
|Graduated University of Sydney LLB (Second Class Honours) 1973|
|Graduated University of Sydney LLM (First Class Honours) 1981|
|Teece Hodgson & Ward |
Level 10, 1 Chifley Square
Sydney NSW 2000
Tel: 02 9232 3733