Dr Marilyn Bromberg
Marilyn was born and raised in Toronto, Canada. She moved to Perth, Australia in 2006. Marilyn is a Senior Lecturer and Director of Professionalism at the University of Western Australia Law School. She teaches Procedure, Professional Practice and Social Media and the Law. She researches in the areas of social media and the law, Body Image Law and Health Law. Prior to commencing work as a Senior Lecturer at The University of Western Australia Law School, Marilyn enjoyed working as an academic at the Law School at The University of Notre Dame Australia (Fremantle Campus) for six years. Marilyn also works as a consultant in her research areas for legal organisations. She has completed consulting work for The Association of Australian Magistrates, The Australasian Institute of Judicial Administration and The Judicial Conference of Australia. Marilyn is also a body image activist and co-manages the Facebook page beautyisonlyphotoshopdeep. She is a freelance journalist and has written for The Toronto Star, The Toronto Metro, The West Australian and The Sydney Morning Herald.
- Marilyn Bromberg and Tomas Fitzgerald, ‘Let’s Starve Down to the Bone: Pro-Anorexia Websites and the Law’ (2017) 25 Journal of Law and Medicine 124.
- Marilyn Bromberg and Cindy Halliwell, ‘”All About that Bass” and Photoshopping a Model’s Waist: Introducing Body Image Law’ (2017) 18 University of Notre Dame Australia Law Review 1.
- Marilyn Bromberg and Andrew Eckert, ‘Haters Gonna Hate: When the Public Uses Social Media to Comment Critically or Maliciously about Judicial Officers’ (2017) 26 Journal of Judicial Administration 3.
- Marilyn Bromberg and Justine Howard, ‘Red Bull: Does it Give you Wings or Cardiac Disturbances? Modifying the Law Regarding Energy Drinks in Australia’ (2016) 24(2) Journal of Law and Medicine 433.
- Marilyn Krawitz, ‘Should Australian Courts Give More Witnesses the Right to Skype?’ (2015) 25 Journal of Judicial Administration 1.
- Marilyn Krawitz, ‘We Didn’t Start this Fireless Vapour: E-Cigarette Legislation in Australia’ (2014) 22(2) Journal of Law and Medicine 462.
- Marilyn Krawitz, ‘Summoned by Social Media: Why Australian Courts Should Have Social Media Accounts’ (2014) 23(3) Journal of Judicial Administration 182.
- Marilyn Krawitz, 'Beauty Is Only Photoshop Deep: Legislating Models' BMIs and Photoshopping Images' (2014) 21 Journal of Law and Medicine 859.
- Robert Slattery and Marilyn Krawitz, ‘Mark Zuckerberg, the Cookie Monster - Australian Privacy Law and Internet Cookies’ (2014) 16(1) Flinders Law Journal 1.
- Marilyn Krawitz, ‘Can Australian Judges Keep their ‘Friends’ Close and their Ethical Obligations Closer? An Analysis of the Issues Regarding Australian Judges’ Social Media Use’ (2013) 23(1) Journal of Judicial Administration 14.
- Marilyn Krawitz, ‘May It Tweet the Court: Ethical Considerations Involving Australian Lawyers’ Social Media Use’ (2013) 2 Journal of Civil Litigation and Practice 85.
- Marilyn Krawitz, ‘Stop the Presses, but not the Tweets! Why Australian Judicial Officials Should Permit Journalists to Use Social Media in the Courtroom’ (2013) 15(1) Flinders Law Journal 1.
Awards & Recognition
- 2017, Nominated for a FABLE Teaching Excellence Award, UWA
- 2017, Recipient of the Blackstone Society Teacher of the Year Award, UWA Law School
- 2015, Finalist for the Lawyers Weekly Women in Law ‘Academic of the Year’ Award
- 2014, Recipient of the Jane Power Prize for Service to The University of Notre Dame Australia
- Australian Women Lawyers Conference - Sydney Australia, 25 August 2018, ‘Body Image’
- The Ministry of the Attorney General - Ontario, 18 July 2017, ‘Social Media and the Courts’, presentation to staff
- International Association for Court Administration and National Association for Court Management Conference, Washington DC, USA, 12 July 2017, ‘Excellence in Social Media: Challenges and Successes that Courts Internationally Have Faced When Using Social Media to Engage the Public’, presentation
- Feeding the Future Conference, UWA, 18 June 2017, ‘The Past and Future of Food: a Social Smorgasboard’, presentation to the public
- LexisNexis SmartLaw - the Evolving Legal Landscape, BGC Centre Perth, 11 August 2016, panel discussion to members of the legal profession
- WA Women Lawyers CPD Event, Perth, 1 September 2016, ‘Legal Approaches Addressing Negative Body Image’, presentation to women lawyers
- Magistrates Court of Western Australia Conference, Frasers, Perth, Western Australia, 10 November 2016, ‘Social Media and the Courts’, presentation to magistrates and staff
- The Australasian Institute of Judicial Administration Conference, A Symposium: Challenges of Social Media for Courts and Tribunals, Melbourne, 26 May 2016, ‘What is Social Media and How it Works’, presentation to members of the judiciary from Australia and New Zealand
- County Court of Victoria Judges’ Conference, Mt Eliza, Victoria, 23 March 2016, ‘Social Media and the Courts’, presentation to the judiciary and court staff
- WA Society of Jewish Jurists and Lawyers Inc. Medico/Legal Conference, Perth, Australia, 1 November 2015, ‘Legal Issues Involving Energy Drinks’, presentation to the judiciary and lawyers
- Victorian Women Lawyers, Melbourne, Australia, 16 October 2015, ‘Body Image and the Law’, CPD presentation to women lawyers
- International Conference on Cyberjustice, Université de Montréal, Montréal, Canada, 3 October 2014, ‘Don’t Judge a Trial by its Juror’s Tweet’, presentation to researchers
- International Association for Court Administration Conference, Sydney, Australia, 25 September 2014, ‘Building and Sustaining Public Confidence: Communication Strategies and Social Media in Courts’, presentation to the judiciary, court staff and researchers
- Supreme Court of Western Australia, Perth Australia, 4 June 2014, ‘Social Media and the Courts’, presentation to the judiciary
- Harvard University, Cambridge, USA, 7 February 2014, ‘Social Media and the Courts’, presentation to staff and students
- Supreme Court of Canada, Ottawa, Canada, 5 February 2014, ‘Social Media and the Courts’, presentation to judicial officers and court staff
Professional Organisations & Memberships
- Volunteer lawyer, Fremantle Community Legal Centre (2014 - present)
- Volunteer judge, Interschool Mock Trials Competition, The Law Society of Western Australia (2011 - present)
|Areas of expertise|
|Social media and the law|
|Body Image Law|
|PhD (Murdoch University)|
|LLB (Dist) (UWA)|
|BBA (Hon) Schulich School of Business at York University|
|Graduate Certificate of University Teaching (The University of Notre Dame Australia, Fremantle Campus)|