Dr Kevin Edmund Lindgren
Dr Lindgren was a Judge of the Federal Court of Australia from July 1994 until he reached the mandatory retirement age for Federal judges in February 2010. At the time of his appointment to the court he was practising as Queen's Counsel at the Sydney Bar, mainly in the area of commercial law.
Dr Lindgren was also an Acting Judge of the Supreme Court of New South Wales and Acting Judge of Appeal of the New South Wales Court of Appeal from 31 May 2010 to 3 September 2010.
While on the Bench of the Federal Court Dr Lindgren heard and decided cases across the full range of that court's jurisdiction. He was a member of the Corporations, Tax, Patents and Competition Law Panels in the New South Wales District Registry of the Court.
He is a Conjoint Professor of Law at The University of Newcastle and an Adjunct Professor of Law at The University of Sydney and The University of Technology Sydney.
After serving articles of clerkship from 1957 to 1962, Dr Lindgren practised as a solicitor from 1962 to 1969; was Lecturer, Senior Lecturer, then Professor of Law at the University of Newcastle from 1969 to 1984; and practised at the Bar in Sydney from 1984 to 1994, being appointed Queen's Counsel in 1991.
During his time as a Judge, Dr Lindgren was the President of the Copyright Tribunal of Australia from 2000 to 2007.
Dr Lindgren is the author, co-author or editor of several books, numerous journal articles, as well as conference papers in the area of commercial law. He has continued to pursue such writing activities, as well as undertaking mediation and arbitration work, in his "retirement".
He is the General Editor and part author of LexisNexis's Lahore Copyright and Designs, High Court and Federal Court Practice and Federal Civil Litigation Precedents, and is the author of the Lindgren's Business Law of Australia service and the 12th edition of Vermeesch and Lindgren's Business Law of Australia published in 2011.
Publications and Editorial Contacts
- Federal Civil Litigation Precedents, Looseleaf Contact: LN BG Publishing
- Lahore Copyright and Designs, Looseleaf Contact: LN LL Publishing
- Lindgren's Business Law of Australia, Looseleaf Contact: LN ML Publishing
- Practice & Procedure High Court & Federal Court of Australia, Looseleaf Contact: LN BG Publishing
- Vermeesch and Lindgren's Business Law of Australia - 12th Edition, Contact: Academic Texts
Awards & Recognition
Dr Lindgren was made a member of the Order of Australia in the Australia Day Honours list in 2012 in recognition of his "service to the judiciary and the administration of justice through the Federal Court of Australia, and to legal education in the area of commercial law".
Dr Lindgren has presented at numerous events over the years and has a long and comprehensive list of engagements to his name spanning across all the areas of his expertise.
- Chair of the Education Committee of the NSW Bar Association 1992 — 1999
- Member of the Barristers Admission Board, succeeded by the Legal Practitioners Admission Board, as nominee of the NSW Bar Association 1993 — 1994
- Member of the Board of Directors of the College of Law, NSW 1995 — 1999
- Chairman of the Advisory Board of the Centre for Legal Education 2007 onwards
- Vice Patron, Australian Literacy and Numeracy Foundation 2007 onwards
- Patron, University of Newcastle Law Alumni Association 2009 onwards
- Foundation Fellow of the Australian Academy of Law 2007; President November 2011 onwards
|Areas of expertise|
|Awards & Recognition|
|Intellectual Property Law|
|Doctor of Laws (honoris causa) (Newcastle)|
|Doctor of Philosophy (Newcastle)|
|Master of Arts (Newcastle)|
|Bachelor of Laws (Hons) (London)|
|Bachelor of Arts (UNSW|
|Eleven Wentworth Barristers|
|'Lindgren's Business Law of Australia - online'|
|'Vermeesch and Lindgren's Business Law of Australia - 12th Edition '|
|'Cases That Changed Our Lives '|