David practised for many years as a senior partner at Freehill Hollingdale & Page, Melbourne, as head of the banking department and as special counsel at KPMG Legal.
He writes and contributes many articles and papers at professional seminars and conferences in the areas of dispute resolution, civil procedure commercial law and ethics.
He is the author of Discovery and Interrogatories Australia, the senior author of Civil Procedure Victoria and a contributor to Halsbury’s Laws of Australia. He was a co-editor of Court Forms Precedents and Pleadings Victoria from its inception until 2017.
He was a member of the International Legal Services Advisory Council 1991 – 2000 (Commonwealth Attorney-General’s Department).
He is an adjunct professor of law at Victoria University, Melbourne.
He was the inaugural chair of the International Law Section of the Law Council of Australia 1987-1991.
Awards & Recognition
- Certificate of Service, Law Institute of Victoria
- Excellence in Team Teaching, Victoria University, Semester 2, 2014, Commercial Arbitration Law
- Legal Writers Award, Law Institute of Victoria, 1995
- Patron, Hawthorn Artists Society
- Victorian Bar, Aickin Chambers
- Law Institute Victoria
- Resolution Institute
- Society of Notaries
- Australian Institute of Commercial Arbitration
- Television Education Network – Paper and Webinar on Disclosure in Legal Practice
- Law Institute of Victoria – various on Negotiating and Drafting Effective Settlement Agreements
- Leo Cussen Institute – Letters of Advice and Letters of Demand
- Legalwise Seminars – Drafting Concise and Effective Pleadings
|Areas of expertise|
|Corporate governance, board strategies and corporations law|
|Meetings and organisations|
|Civil procedure and dispute resolution|
|Cross border dispute resolution and international commercial law|
|Banking and finance law|
|LLB (Hons) University of Melbourne|
|MCL Southern Methodist University, Texas|