Matthew Swinn is a partner of King & Wood Mallesons and a recognised IP litigation specialist with a wealth of experience in the manufacturing, life sciences and consumer sectors among others. Matthew is also Managing Partner for KWM's Dispute Resolution & Tax teams.
Matthew is well known for his patent litigation expertise, having acted in patent disputes for some of the world's largest companies. His expertise also spans the entire range of intellectual property issues including contentious trade mark, copyright, trade secrets and consumer protection/passing-off matters.
He is a member and former Chair of the Law Council of Australia’s IP Committee, a member of the Federal Court of Australia’s IP User Group and President of the Australian chapter of the International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property (AIPPI).
Professional Organisations & Memberships
- King & Wood Mallesons
- Law Institute of Victoria
- Law Council of Australia, IP Committee
- International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property – President of AIPPI Australia
- Federal Court of Australia, IP Users Group
Awards & Recognition
- Intellectual Property: Patents in Australia, Band 1 –Chambers Global 2019, 2020 and 2021
- Intellectual Property, Band 1 – Chambers and Partners 2021 (Asia Pacific)
- 2022 Lawyer of the Year – Intellectual Property Law in Melbourne, Best Lawyers
- Patent Litigation Star and Trade Mark Litigation Star, Managing Intellectual Property IP Stars 2020/21
- Gold Band - Litigation and Global Thought Leader, IAM Patent 1000: The World’s Leading Patent Professionals 2021
- Benchmark Litigation Asia-Pacific – Dispute Resolution Star (Intellectual Property) 2020
|Areas of Expertise|
BA/LLB (Hons) – Bachelor of Arts / Bachelor of Laws (Hons) (Monash)|
LLM – Master of Laws (Melbourne)