Brendan advises on IT transactions of all types and sizes, including large scale, complex outsourcing and integration projects, cloud-based offerings, data analytics and software licensing and development agreements. He also assists on IP protection and commercialisation, digital marketing and content, social media, sponsorships, privacy and cyber security.
Brendan has particular expertise providing strategic cyber and data resilience advice, and has current experience advising clients on their journey towards GDPR compliance.
Publications and Editorial Contacts
- LexisNexis - Practical Guidance Cybersecurity, Data Protection & Privacy (Australian chapters).
- Co-authored Australian Chapter of World Online Business Law.
- The Censorship of Misogynistic Rap Music—A Consideration of Gender-Based Harms and Free Speech, 26 VICT. U. WELLINGTON L. REV. 531 (1996).
Awards & Recognition
- Legal 500 Asia Pacific, 2018, recommended for IT & Telecommunications.
- Victoria University of Wellington annual award for best legal writing.
- Selected from Australia & New Zealand to attend the "Building Global Lawyers" conference at IBM HQ in Armonk (New York State).
- Appointed global co-lead of an IBM initiative to improve customer experience.
- British Telecom Recognition Award for work on BT’s purchase of NSB Retail Systems plc’s UK operations and exclusive distribution agreement.
- British Telecom Recognition Award for work on BT Fusion (world’s first hybrid mobile and landline phone).
- Engaged by Commvault to present at their “Connections Live” customer events in Sydney and Melbourne on cyber security and privacy developments (Australian mandatory date breach notification and the GDPR).
- Interviewed by Bloomberg BNA for ‘Companies to Face Mandatory Data Breach Notice Down Under’ article
- Interviewed by Sydney radio station regarding mandatory date breach notification.
Professional Organisations & Memberships
- Law Society of New South Wales
|Areas of expertise|
Cyber and data resilience (including Australian privacy laws and the application of the GDPR to Australian organisations)
|LLB (Hons), BA (Psych), Victoria University|