Alex is Asia Pacific General Counsel at Unisys, based in Sydney. He leads Unisys’ Asia Pacific Law Department and is responsible for the Law Department’s strategic and operational support of Unisys’ business across the Asia Pacific region, including Australia, New Zealand, Singapore, Malaysia, the Philippines, India, Japan, Hong Kong, Taiwan and Greater China. Alex is a member of Unisys’ Asia Pacific Senior Leadership Team and is Company Secretary of Unisys’ Australian subsidiaries. Prior to joining Unisys, Alex was a Senior Associate at Herbert Smith Freehills and an Associate at Baker & McKenzie in Sydney and London.
Alex has extensive experience in relation to data security, innovative technologies and business models, outsourcing, managed services, software as a service, infrastructure as a service, cloud computing, data hosting, systems integration, software development, licensing, support and maintenance, intellectual property, privacy, telecommunications, contracting with clients (Government and private sector), suppliers and business partners, legal risk management and company secretarial responsibilities in countries across the Asia Pacific region and in the United Kingdom, Europe and the Middle East, from working in top-tier law firms and in-house.
- LexisNexis Practical Guidance: Cybersecurity, Data Protection and Privacy – Data Security topic
- Contributing author to Telecommunications Laws in Europe, Law and Regulation of Electronic Communications in Europe, (5th edition), Baker & McKenzie, Tottel Publishing, 2005.
- Co-author of article "Optimising the Utility of Source Code Escrow Agreements", published in the UK Computer & Law Journal, December 2002/January 2003 (Vol. 13 Issue 5).
- Contributing author to Practical Law Company E-Commerce Manual, 2001-2002.
- Freelance legal writer, Butterworths Specialist Practice Group, Immigration Review Tribunal Digest and Legal Dictionary, 1993-1997.
- Panellist at LexisNexis' 8th Annual Contract Law Masterclass, discussing "Trends, challenges and best practice in contract management: what lies ahead in 2010", 16-17 February 2010, Sydney.
- Leader and facilitator of half-day Lexis-Nexis IT contracts workshop, "Developing IT Contract Legal and Management Skills", Melbourne, 13 September 2006.
- Presenter at EIS IT contracts conference, "Software Development Contracts: Avoiding the Pitfalls", Sydney, 3 April 2006.
- Speaker at 5th Annual FinSec Conference, organised by MIS Training, London, 21 September 2005.
- Speaker at Baker & McKenzie's annual outsourcing client seminar, London, 29 July 2005.
- Speaker at "Cyber Security, Wireless Technology, in the Financial Services Sector", on legal and regulatory issues, organised by Information Management Network, London, 30 November - 1 December 2004.
- Speaker at outsourcing seminar in relation to Financial Services Act requirements, organised by Complinet, London, 23 November 2004.
- Speaker and chair of round table discussion session on financial services sector regulatory issues relating to data security - 4th Annual FinSec Conference, organised by MIS Training, London, 16 September 2004.
Professional Organisations & Memberships
- Admitted to practice as a legal practitioner in New South Wales, Australia (unrestricted practising certificate) and as a solicitor in England and Wales, United Kingdom.
- Member of the New South Wales Law Society and the Law Society of England and Wales.
- Member of Alumni Associations of the Australian Graduate School of Management and University of New South Wales.
|Areas of expertise|
|Data security, innovative technologies and business models, outsourcing, managed services, software as a service, infrastructure as a service, cloud computing, data hosting, systems integration, software development, licensing, support and maintenance, intellectual property, privacy, telecommunications, contracting with clients (Government and private sector), suppliers and business partners, company secretarial responsibilities and legal risk management.|
Master of Business Administration (MBA) (Executive), Australian Graduate School of Management, University of New South Wales|
Master of Laws (in Media, Communications and Information Technology Law), University of New South Wales
Bachelor of Laws, University of New South Wales
Bachelor of Arts (Hons), University of New South Wales
Certificate of Completion, Legal Practice Management Course, College of Law, New South Wales|
Practice Diploma in International Business Organisations, International Bar Association and College of Law of England and Wales
Qualified Lawyers Transfer Test, College of Law of England and Wales
Diploma of Legal Practice, College of Law, New South Wales
|Mobile: +61 420 316 204|