Alex Mitchell’s Top 5 Tips for Delivering Value as a General Counsel
01 August 2022 02:52
Alex Mitchell, the Asia Pacific General Counsel at Unisys is an expert writer and contributor for LexisNexis Practical Guidance.
In a recent video interview, Alex detailed his top 5 tips for delivering value as a General Counsel and outlines several great ways to drive collaboration between your legal team and business.
What are your top 5 tips for delivering value as a General Counsel?
- I would aim to have a clear understanding of what value represents in your organisation. This means being clear on what the board finds is valuable, and what senior executives and the senior leadership team require.
- Ensure that the objectives and functions of the legal team are aligned with the objectives of the whole company. As part of that process, setting up regular check-ins with your senior leadership team to ensure what you’re doing does provide value, is important.
- Be proactive and learn more about how you can help your clients rather than waiting for them to come to you.
- Focus on developing and growing your own in-house legal team is important. At Unisys, every team member has an individual professional development plan.
- Look for efficiencies that can add value to your business. For example, improve operational efficiencies by leveraging technology to improve your internal legal processes.
Watch the full video HERE
Alex Mitchell leads Unisys’ Asia Pacific Law Department and is responsible for the Law Department’s strategic and operational support of Unisys’ business across the Asia Pacific region, including Australia, New Zealand, Singapore, Malaysia, the Philippines, India, Japan, Hong Kong, Taiwan and Greater China.
Alex is also a member of Unisys’ Asia Pacific Senior Leadership Team and is Company Secretary of Unisys’ Australian subsidiaries. Prior to joining Unisys, Alex was a Senior Associate at Herbert Smith Freehills and an Associate at Baker & McKenzie in Sydney and London.
Under pressure to provide quality, accurate advice fast?
Take a closer look at Practical Guidance In-house Advisor--your one-stop guide to the skills and knowledge to thrive, both as a leader and as a lawyer.
Build your own tailored solution of practical resources for your in-house team by combining In-House Advisor with modules covering key legal and commercial areas.
Guidance notes, practice tips, legislation, precedents, cases, tools, ready-made forms, and checklists are all in one place and aligned to a lawyer’s entire workflow.
Practical Guidance removes the need for in-depth legal research as it is underpinned by primary law. Each module works alongside LexisNexis’ research solutions, providing an efficient gateway to deeper research if required.