2. September 2010 09:48
ASIC has published a copy of the recent speech given by ASIC chairman Tony D'Aloisio at the Supreme Court of Victoria commercial law conference on 13 August 2010.
The speech is a clear summary of:
- the policy behind enforcement - to maintain investor confidence;
- the likely effect of the transfer of market supervision to ASIC;
- how Australian markets are regarded internationally;
- that ASIC generally considers criminal prosecution to be required for insider trading offences in order to maximise the deterrent effect; and
- the evidence required for successful prosecution and the importance of acquiring that evidence.